Monday, November 09, 2009

Swine Flu in Peoria

I understand the Peoria County Health Department (PCHD) is working under constraints, and by all accounts the clinic at IVC on Monday was well-run and efficient. But I was just out at Woodrow Wilson for today's clinic, and there has GOT to be a better way. A long line of families with small children, many of them fussing and running around (near busy roads), standing in the cold, for an indeterminate amount of time. Surely individuals could go to the health department and sign up for 15-minute appointment blocks (15 shots in 15 minutes or however fast they manage them), or at least hold clinics places the lines can be indoors. An adult standing in line for half of forever is no big deal -- Lord knows I've done it at the Cook County DMV -- but trying to corral little kids in line that long is a nightmare.

We were not able to wait and get me a shot; it was simply too cold for Mini McGee to be out in the cold that long, particularly as I had no idea if it would be 30 minutes or 90 minutes or 3 hours. (Plus I have to teach later.)

4 comments:

Diane Vespa said...

Laura, there you go talking that common sense thing again.

Pammy said...

Laura, unfortunately the HD just isn't big enough to hold a clinic like the one tonight (we vaccinated about 700 in 3 hours). Luckily, many were able to get inside fairly quickly and wait on the bleachers. We also have to consider the "regular" HD daily business as well as the parking situation..it's just not great there, either.

Eyebrows McGee said...

Yeah, I was thinking more like the Civic Center, which I know also has stuff scheduled and there are logistics, or gymnasiums, or something like that. Or scheduled appointments. :)

I know there are a lot of constraints but I feel like there has to be something better than little kids standing out in the cold and wet.

Diane Vespa said...

Laura you can't get there from here.