Tuesday, June 09, 2009

The New Normal

I woke up yesterday morning feeling like having a baby in the house was normal, instead of waking up and thinking, "When is your mother coming to pick you up, baby? Oh ... crap." or "OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG" or "I CAN'T DO THIS!!!!!" It helps that he seems to recognize us both now and interacts a bit more, so he's less of a newborn lump of neediness and pooping and more of a baby (still full of neediness and pooping but now with personality).

Then last night he slept between feedings instead of fussing and spaced his feedings about 3 hours (instead of ONE hour, which has been the story of the past few days and I thought I was going to actually die). I got almost six hours of sleep, in two-hour chunks, so I feel like people again. Tired people, but people.

I know this doesn't mean it'll all be sunshine and roses (as likely as not, tonight he'll be up all night and eating constantly), but at least I can see a light at the end of the tunnel when I'll no longer be a zombie. (A zombie that says things that endlessly entertain my husband, like, "Stop! I can't think and talk at the same time!" and a zombie that freezes in panic when asked an open-ended question like "What do you want for dinner?" because that's too many choices for my tiny zombie brain.)

5 comments:

pollypeoria said...

Eyebrows, Does your bundle of reflux, poop, sleep deprivation joy have a name yet? Tell me you didn't go with Flippy.

Jennifer said...

Eyebrows,
I think you are actually doing way better than you realize, what with able to write a blog post and all. I don't think I would have had the attention span necessary to complete such a task when my kids were newborns.
Jennifer

Eyebrows McGee said...

We went with Isaac. :)

kcdad said...

glad things are starting to settle down... they won't for long... soon he'll be riding his bike all over the city and ... OMG DATING.

Jenny said...

yay...go eyebrows family.