Wednesday, April 08, 2009

What next?

So, woah, I seem to have won. My super-exciting celebration involved reheated pizza on the couch with my husband and then bed. Flippy's celebration involved a 4:30 a.m. dance party in my uterus, which is why I'm posting so early. I gave up on getting back to sleep.

So what next? Well, I cannot attend the April 20 school board meeting -- I have Lamaze class. I'm hoping to spend this month and next month meeting people, particularly those of my new counterparts whom I haven't met, talking to people, reading and studying up like crazy, etc. I'm hoping to do most of this quietly and behind-the-scenes, as I've never been 9 months pregnant before or given birth before -- Flippy's due May 29 -- so I'm a little hesitant to make firm plans for May or June. (I'm told fetuses are quite bad at reading calendars and showing up as scheduled.) But I'm going to do everything I can to be ready to hit the ground running July 1. (Edited to be clear: The term begins July 1. This is about my plans until that time.)

If you'd like to talk with me, you can reach me via e-mail (lpetelle AT gmail DOT com), twitter (on the left there), even instant messenger (PetelleLaw on AIM), or by that dinosaur, the telephone.

21 comments:

Diane Vespa said...

I'll bet you didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Ha ha! Congrats to you, Mr. McGee and the Flipster!

PrairieCelt said...

Congratulations! Those of us who are disillusioned and disgusted with the current BOE (with one or two exceptions) and Administration are thrilled you won. We look forward to supporting you any way we can. Even though you will only have one vote, we trust you will not be just another "rubber stamp" for the status quo. Perhaps with your probative style and persistance, the public (and other BOE members) may finally receive the information withheld for so long.

Chef Kevin said...

Congrats, Laura!! I hope there are a few people shaking in the boots this morning.

PrairieCelt said...

Chef Kevin - I think that is a foregone conclusion! I couldn't be more delighted.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your victory. It's a shame you'll be missing 3 months of BOE meetings especially during this very contentious time of school closings and whatnot. Where those folks who voted for you aware that you'd be MIA for 3 months?

Billy Dennis said...

No problem. Now that the voters have decided in early April we have to wait THREE months before you can have any official say in how Ken Hinton is wrecking the school system.

Anonymous said...

I would hope that the voters knew that the term for which they were electing her does not begin until July 1. Also, three months of unofficially getting up to speed before her official term even begins is the exact opposite of being MIA. Sounds more like going above and beyond to me.

Halloween Jack said...

Congratulations!

Eyebrows McGee said...

"Where those folks who voted for you aware that you'd be MIA for 3 months?"

My term doesn't start until July 1, so I can't vote on anything until then. I hope people are aware of when the term starts; I'm not aware of any elections where the term begins immediately.

I have been clear throughout the election cycle that I'm expecting and when my due date is, and when that is w/r/t the campaign, the election, and the beginning of the term.

Vonster said...

OMG even The Vonster voted for you...

Donna/Doxy/LyricFox said...

Congrats from both me and Randall!

Jennifer said...

Eyebrows,
Congratulations!
(Is it wrong that I want to poke Anon #1 with a big stick?)
Jennifer

Sue said...

Congratulations!

Diane Vespa said...

Well, Laura, looks like you will be getting a lot of help in your capacity as B of E member ;)

Dan Dermody said...

Congratulations Laura. Now, show 'em whatch got!! You'll be a breath of fresh air on that board, that's for sure.

Diane Vespa said...

Hey girl - just heard you on WMBD! Two thumbs up!

PrairieCelt said...

Diane, what did Eyebrows say on WMBD? We missed that here.

Diane Vespa said...

She said her biggest priorities would be improving the communication between the community and the district and establishing a quality alternative program...something to that affect

B said...

Congrats and good luck.

My mother did two terms on the 225 board....one directly after a certain scandal...

Sherman Dorn said...

Congrats!!

Carol said...

You GO Girl!