Saturday, January 03, 2009

This Is Harder Than I Expected

So I turn out not to be very good at pregnancy. I'm into week 19, and I'm still barfing my brains out with morning sickness. (Seriously, I throw up so much I end up with a vicious headache just from the barfing, before we add in the hormone part of the headache.) It's backed off somewhat so it's worst morning and evening, but it's still more or less an all-day affair. I'm not even hungry anymore (except when the Sudden Onset Starvation -- all you people who've been pregnant know what I'm talking about), but of course I have to make myself eat, even though I know it'll be coming back on me shortly. After this pregnancy is over, I'm not sure I'll be able to ever eat a plain cracker or a peppermint candy again, since those have been my primary morning-sickness-fighting tools. Peppermints are already starting to totally gross me out.

I'm down 10 lbs. from my pre-pregnancy weight, making pregnancy officially the most effective diet I've ever been on.

Now let me hasten to say that Flippy continues healthy, and while I'm absolutely miserably uncomfortable, none of this is dangerous. Just miserable. And morning sickness isn't particularly treatable, either. So I have to suffer through, and Mr. McGee has to suffer through me suffering through (I suffer loudly). The second trimester woes -- back aches, ligament pain, etc. -- are starting to kick in, which I think is brutally unfair, as I am not doing with the FIRST trimester woes yet! Get in line, you rotten woes! Wait your turn!

I'm trying to be philosophical about it and count my blessings -- Flippy's healthy, I have good medical care, pregnancy only lasts nine months, I have a husband who's being really cool about having to do all the housework and shopping and cooking -- but I'm getting less philosophical by the day. Especially because it's difficult for me to leave the house, so I'm really freaking bored. The ob/gyn keeps telling me to lie down and rest, which I do (the couch is growing an imprint of my butt), but OH MY GOD, I'M SO BORED.

I swear, though, what annoys me the most is that my skin looks like absolute crap. For some reason I feel the most cheated by the fact that not only am I not glowing, I look like the cryptkeeper's wife. My skin has never looked this terrible, and I went through puberty without getting this many zits! Brutal.

12 comments:

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

Ughh If its any help to you now (I'm sure it won't be) the second pregnancy is easier! You don't have time to lie down or be too terribly tired cause you're chasing after a first child. The only thing that helped my 3 month long morning (all day) sickness was to constantly eat! All the time, my stomach felt better if there was something in it. Good luch for the next 21 weeks!!! : )

My Flock Rocks! said...

Hope you are feeling better soon...ahh I remember the days very well sicker than a dog, but the end result was well worth it!

Dw3t-Hthr said...

My mother's morning sickness remedy is tonic water. It has helped me, though it's not for guzzling vats of....

-- Darkhawk

Knight in Dragonland said...

Hmmm ... I don't know that subsequent pregnancies are necessarily better than the first. My wife has been through 186 weeks of pregnancy. Looking back on them all, the first 38 (pregnancy #1) were probably the easiest. Pregnancy #3 was probably the hardest on her, but #4 and #5 gave #3 a good run for the money.

We're like Homer Simpson grabbing the electrified cupcake even though it keeps shocking us.

Knight in Dragonland said...

Doxylamine/pyridoxine worked OK ... better than Zofran, and much less expensive.

flowerpower13169 said...

Try sipping bitters and 7up. I feel for you, (I was the one who told you not to feel bad if you thought it sucked) On the good side, after giving birth to my boys I was thinner than before due to the "All day sickness".

Eyebrows McGee said...

Hey Knight, I shot you an e-mail. Maybe I used the wrong address?

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark said...

Rumi wrote a fun thought for your time of morning yuck: "With this pain, you are digging a path for yourself to God."

Thought I'd toss you a thought to distract you. I've enjoyed your blog over the years.

East Bluff Barbie said...

With my second son is was extremely sick. I lost weight and was very small when I delivered. Boy did I deliver! He was 9 pounds and 3 ounces! The doctor wanted to know where I hid a 9 pound baby. I hope you start to feel better.

Kathleen said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so sorry to say that I don't have any advice. I'll ask around and see if I can find you another remedy to try. I think the bitters and 7-up sounds like a good try. One of my friends ending up having to throw up all over herself because an uncontrollable bout came on as she was pulling into the driveway. She didn't even have time to open the door. I hope you continue to reach the toilet :)

Wanda (aka Metschick) said...

Congrats on the pregnancy. I'm lucky that my horrible morning sickness only lasted 12 weeks. But it was very, very bad during those 12 weeks. I eventually had to put a trashcan in my office, because I was barely making it to the bathroom from my office. (I'd rather clean up after, than throw up right outside the bathroom.)

But, you're halfway there!