Thursday, January 29, 2009

Impeachment

I've watched much of the impeachment proceedings (on the Illinois Information Service feed, which one of the local networks should put on as one of their digital subchannels, that'd be very useful, very cheap, and they could run local ads across the bottom as a scroll), and it's been a really interesting undertaking.

I really felt like the State Senate did a very good job of making the proceedings clear, as unusual as they were, and I thought the prosecutor was excellent. Blago's rank nonsense made me want to put a fist through my screen while he was talking, but the prosecutor's rebuttal was good. stuff.

But I think the really comforting part of the whole proceeding was how even when democratic government fails fairly catastrophically, it still succeeds. Our idiot ex-governor was ousted peacefully, openly, with a clear and public process. Our new governor was sworn in moments later. Even as state government was embroiled in this catastrophe, the legislature kept meeting, the bureaucracy kept working, and everybody, inside the statehouse and in the state more generally, waited patiently for the process to work itself out.

It's sometimes hard to remember that the often-dull and overlooked work of state government (as well as the ponderous machinations of their federal counterparts) is in fact one of the greatest achievements of mankind. There was no violence, there was no coup, there was no secret voting -- just an open process of removal, conducted under the law, resulting in the peaceful transfer of power from one guy to another. That's a neat thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that I discovered your blog yesterday, and spent hours reading through the archives; I love it.

Congratulations on the baby!

Anonymous said...

More hours reading the archives; today I went through 2 years worth (though 2004 was pretty easy). You've got a gift; reading the blog has made me laugh, smile, forward posts to several friends, and call family to tell them I love them. Thanks for a wonderful evening!

Eyebrows McGee said...

Thanks, Anon!