Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Some Storm!

Most of my Illinois readers were aware of the storm last night, which treated Wrigley to 60-80 mph gusts during a night game (night games -- boo!), but didn't reach us until about 4 a.m. due to the diagonal nature of the storm system. The wind alone was so loud it woke me up and I was honestly somewhat scared. (The cats, being intelligent creatures, decamped to the basement.)

Around 4:45 a.m., I heard a horrific snapping and cracking and smashing sound, and I was absolutely convinced it was my roof. (So I waited, quiet, to hear the water pour in ....) Turns out it was my neighbor's sycamore, snapping right in half:



I also heard this bang into the side of my house; lucky it didn't break a window!



The mystery of this is where did this half-of-a-maple-tree COME from? I looked up and down the block, and up and down the alley behind, and I have not been able to identify anybody missing half of a maple tree.

I'm a little stumped as to how to get it out of there -- it's heavy enough for two people, and it's complicated by being entangled in the bushes and there aren't too many places to step.

... and the nice men from the city picking up big branches just came and were kind enough to carry it out of there for me. Yay!

Anyway, I still have no idea where that half-a-tree came from!

6 comments:

Donna/Doxy/LyricFox said...

Good thing it didn't fall on your garage.

tsheets said...

How the heck did that sycamore not take down any of those lines??? haha!

Eyebrows McGee said...

The sycamore took down the line to the house. Ameren tells my neighbors it'll be just AGES before they get fixed because entire neighborhoods are without power, and they're just one house.

And donna, we were totally HOPING it'd fall on the garage! The garage needs replacing! LOL

Donna/Doxy/LyricFox said...

ROFL...I figured you'd catch the sarcasm there.

Eyebrows McGee said...

The storm knocked out my sarcasm detector :D

Anon E. Mouse said...

Too bad about the Syc.

Go ahead and take down the rest of that crappy Silver Maple, though. I hate'em. My yard is full of them. I am slowly diversifying my yard. Started with Cypress and this fall (or next spring) I am adding a Kentucky Coffee Tree.