Monday, April 21, 2008

Forsythia

The forsythia have been in bloom this past week, which is such a joyful/sorrowful thing. They're the first ecstatic burst of spring, and so beautiful, but at the same time you know they won't last more than two weeks, and then be gone until next year.

Forsythia are among my favorite flowers, maybe just because they're the first brightly-colored harbinger of spring, but I think also because they're so cheerful. They're so bright and gaudy and at the same time so ephemeral and delicate.

When I was in junior high, we read the following acrostic poem, and for some reason it stuck with me, I guess because I think it's such a good description of forsythia:

Forsythia:
Out
Race
Spring's
Yellow
Telegram:
Hope
Insists
Action.

After years of looking for it, it's finally turned up online (everything eventually does), so you can go see the graphic version here and learn that it's by Mary Ellen Solt.

Enjoy your forsythia while it lasts!

2 comments:

tsheets said...

So, the name isn't really 'that yellow bush'???? :-)

Mary H. said...

My favorite flower are the lilies called "naked ladies" because they have no leaves on their stems. Hubby and I yell at each other "look at the naked ladies" when we see them, and our children groan and gnash their teeth.