Saturday, March 01, 2008

Husband-Proof

We had the flu here at the McGee house, and Mr. McGee followed up with bronchitis, for which he eventually had to get Rx cough syrup so he could sleep through the night and get better, and I could sleep through the night (without him coughing me awake) and not kill him.

Unfortunately, the cough syrup came in a child-proof bottle. I opened it for him the first time because I happened to be bringing the bottle upstairs. Then at about 3 a.m. that first night, he starts coughing again, gets up to take a second dose, and I hear him struggling with the bottle and muttering sleepily, "How does this open?" After a couple minutes I give in, roll out of my toasty warm bed, and scurry to the bathroom to open it for him.

This has gone on every succeeding night. He can actually manage to DISASSEMBLE THE CAP without getting it off the bottle. (I didn't know they could be disassembled!) Every night I open it for him before bed after he gives up, then I get up in the middle of the night to open it again as his mid-night mutterings turn frustrated. I can't say how childproof the cap is, but it is most definitely husband-proof.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could just leave the cap off or gently set it on top so you don't have to get up = )

East Bluff Barbie said...

I would measure out his dose and put it in a shot glass next to the bed so he can take it when he needs it without getting up or disturbing you.

GardenAuthor said...

My dad showed me how to take pliers, crack the shell and remove it. (Or was this what you meant by disassemble?) Beneath this is a regular old lefty-loosey bottle cap. Then life went on as it should... very viral-ridden patient opening his/her own cough medicine, unassisted. Voilá!

Eyebrows McGee said...

anon and EBB, both good ideas I didn't think of, lol. Garden author, the underneath part didn't seem openable because there wasn't really anywhere to grab it. But then, it was the MIDDLE of the night, so I wasn't all that functional!