Friday, February 15, 2008

Eco Woah!

We got a lower-flow showerhead a couple months ago, 1.6 gpm down from 2.5 gpm. Just a basic dealie I picked up for about $12 at Lowe's, off the shelf, not anything special, expensive, and super-high-tech from a "green" catalog or website. It's aerating, so the spray is actually more forceful than it was with the existing 2.5 gpm showerhead. (My only complaint is that I think it actually makes the bathroom too steamy, because the aeration seems to make it mistier faster. My husband thinks this is crazy talk and there's no such thing as too-steamy a bathroom in the winter. I also could use an adjustable spray pattern but you don't get adjustable spray patterns for $12 --I can always upgrade.)

Anyway, we got our first full-month bill with the new showerhead, and I can confidently attribute about a 1500-gallon drop in our use to the new showerhead, which makes my water bill way more attractive, even after the City of Peoria charges me for garbage on my water bill because the city council lacks the balls to call it a "tax" instead of a "fee." Just sayin'.

Just wait until I get those high-tech low-flow dual-flush toilets!

8 comments:

Anon E. Mouse said...

That tells me the McGee family is inder the showerhead for over a half-hour per day.
30 - 15 minute, 40 seconds showers per day per person.

I doubt you both spend equal time in the shower. Who's the bathroom hog?

Jennifer said...

Hmm... I'll have to buy one of those. We use a crazy awful amount of water with 4 people showering daily and our water is expensive.

Diane Vespa said...

Shower together ;)

Anonymous said...

when you get a dual flush toilet, post details. I'm interested, but hear they're relatively hard to find in US.

Secret Server said...

Hmmm; Our toilet seems to be flushing twice each time you push the handle, but I doubt that is what you mean by "dual flush". I will need to look into these water saving devices.

Eyebrows McGee said...

The dual-flush toilets have a very-low-flow flush for pee, and a standard-low-flow flush for #2. Since most flushing is for pee, it saves quite a bit of water.

Anon, I've seen a few models through big-box retailers (and one place you can definitely find them is for RVs!). But I'm starting to see some for the home at regular retailers, mostly Australian models rather than Japanese models, but still well-reviewed.

And anon e., the Mr. is the shower hog. :D

GardenAuthor said...

Just got caught up on your recent adventures, both domestic and work-related. As always, pithy, humorous and eminently readable.

Been 'away,' writing newsletters and adding to my 'blog family' - my original is spawning and I'm now up to four separate blogs... as if I needed to do four. It's oddly addictive and at least I now have proper repositories for all that excess verbiage... Deb

Peoria AntiPundit said...

A Garbage Fee on a water bill that neither goes to collection of garbage or water services? Sounds like something right out of George Orwell's 1984. Double speak. Don't worry though, it is temporary and they will remove it, like the HRA tax and the new tax we will get from the county for the McDonald's - O'Brien Car Team Museum - Cat Visitor Center - and Sewage Treatment Plant facility.