Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Yet Another Grocery Trip

I went grocery shopping today, and as regular readers of my blog know, I'm not the biggest fan of grocery shopping. I do like the people-watching, particularly when people argue in foreign languages and I get to make up what they're arguing about, but other customers have an almost infinite capacity to annoy me, and apparently I went to Kroger during both Official Bitter Old Person Time and Official Insane Person Time. There were a whole bunch of people talking to themselves, loudly and startlingly, without bluetooth headsets on. And a subset of that bunch felt the need to address others. And demand answers. Coherent ones.

Meanwhile, there was that subset of the elderly who hate the entire universe. These was this one woman who apparently felt that I had no business shopping so she literally kept cart-checking me. I was repeatedly cart-checked by a 75-year-old lady less than five feet tall who was utterly determined to prevent me from buying any dairy and who kept giving me dirty, dirty looks for daring to, you know, want calcium. Because apparently they might run out.

I picked up a Kroger tote bag* today, to go with all my string bags, because there are some things that just fit a lot better in the brown-paper-bag-type bag instead of the string bags, which expand almost infinitely (it's an Undetectable Extension Charm) but are very bad at holding things like boxes.

I appreciate the fact that as reusable bags are becoming both more common and more of a political issue, checkers and baggers no longer look at me like I have three heads when I want to use my own bags. I also appreciate that instead of being considered a freak with weird requests who must be tolerated because I am a customer, I am now recognized as a being of superior moral fiber for having my own bags. (Actually, I sort-of don't; I have an innate desire to jump off the bandwagon -- any bandwagon -- as soon as it gets popular.) On the other hand, while they work out some of the kinks in the bagging system, I'd be just as happy to do my own bagging.

*As a general rule, I object to wearing brand labels unless I get them for free -- I do not pay for other people to advertise on me. If they want to advertise on me, they can pay ME. However, the Kroger totes are 99 cents (compared to about $15 for a plain grocery tote) and are very sturdy, so I'm cool with the logo.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does your Kroger follow the "throw everything in the bag" policy?
That's when the bagger just grabs and stuff regardless of what it is. You get a box of cereal, two cans of soup, and a loaf of bread in the same bag.

Diane Vespa said...

And have you also noticed that the subset of the elderly who hate everyone in the universe PARTICULARLY hate kids. They would just as soon club them to death with their cane than walk around them. I figure they either 1. never had kids or 2. just don't remember having kids, or remember anything else for the matter! Lol. Fun read.

Jennifer said...

Diane,
Or maybe their memories of kids are clouded and they think "MY KIDS never acted like that..."

Diane Vespa said...

kind of like the way I acted before kids!

Anonymous said...

I know what you're saying. Now when shopping and I see the trendy new "green bandwagon" people with their bags I'm tempted to leave mine in the car just to avoid being one of them- despite that I have been doing it all along. I hate caring about people thinking I am one of the sheep. Why can't I just do it for me?

Phoibos said...

My Kroger has a U-Scan for 15 items or less, which I do everything in my power to use so that I can bag things myself, the way I want. I use my infinite-stretch net bags and canvas bags, and like things organized just so. I got tired of having to either tell the bagger to do it differently or just get out of the way and let me do it, so now I just do the whole thing myself. It's faster and less annoying.

Anonymous said...

Baggers simply do not take pride in their work anymore. It used to be an artform: constructing a perfectly stable cube of groceries inside each crisp brown paper frame. The old hands would pass on their tricks to new baggers. Now we live in a world of limp plastic bags strewing their contents across every trunk. But hey, at least in 100 years if the continents sink into the seas we can build a new continent on the churning mass of plastic waste we are accumulating.

As for the elderly, it tends to turn out that the crabby ones were crabby when they were younger, too. Circumstances modulate behavior, but personality traits remain fairly stable (though occasionally affected by conscious, concerted, extensive effort).

Mahkno said...

wtf is up with Kroger and milk. Seriously. the Kroger's on Sterling, Harmon Hwy, and Sheridan all have problems stocking milk. I can no longer count the number of times in the last two years that I have gone there and there was NO MILK. No really... completely out.

Ms. PH said...

I am glad more people are on the reusable bag bandwagon. I have been doing it for awhile.

I have never run into the mean old lady shopper, but I always run into the touchy old lady shopper. Why is it that old ladies think they can touch your child anytime they want? I mean, he is really cute and all, but I get a little irritated when all old ladies have to pinch his cheeks.

Finally, if you want good bagging, go to Schnucks. They always have good bagging. The last time I was there (Monday), the bagger not only perfectly weighted the bags, but she also bagged them by genre. All crackers and cereal together, all dairy together, all meat together. Now there's a bagger who really enjoys her job!!

anon e. mouse said...

Occasionally I will go to Cub Foods.

If I want to confuse my kids, I'll go there and use the PAPER bags there.