Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Feline Bathroom Regiment

Grey Cat has loved showers since he was a kitten, when he would not let me out of his sight (because I caused the food to appear) and followed me into the bathroom and then would wail piteously while patrolling the sink because the mean nasty loud water was trying to kill me. Eventually he discovered that he likes the heat and steam and never, ever, ever misses a shower. He believes we run a private sauna for him. This becomes slightly problematic when we have house guests, since Grey Cat knows how to open the bathroom door and simply lets himself in when someone is in the shower (leading to draughts of FREEZING COLD AIR in the dead of winter). We always have to warn people, "We're not perverts, it's just our cat."

Orange Cat has always hated the shower, but lately he has taken to napping nearly all day in the bathroom for reasons unknown. So whenever one of us goes up to the bathroom to take a shower, Orange Cat wakes up, stretches, and with great dignity vacates the premises, and Grey Cat, with equally great dignity, walks in and takes up Orange Cat's sleeping spot. GOD FORBID you close the door before they have finished the changing of the guard; disturbing the cat routine leads to much unhappiness and periodic claw-related scars.

I find the whole thing is unutterably amusing, while I stand there in my bathrobe waiting for a full-on ceremonial exchange of watch-cat duties.

8 comments:

WLW said...

Long before I was born my family had a orange cat that loved water like this. My Mom had to give it a bath once, and it was the normal fight one would expect from a cat, much blood and claw scars, but once it was tossed into the wash basin it found it loved the water. At the time, we had an outdoor washer with the wringer on top, the antique kind now, and she had to guard it from then on or all the clothes would be covered in orange fur.

Jennifer said...

I wish my silly Jack Russel Terrier was as entertaining. All he does is walk around in circles before sitting down...

anon e. mouse said...

"...droughts of FREEZING COLD AIR..."?

droughts?

However, while I furrow my brow, I will not take issue with "unutterably".

BTW, in a meeting the other day, they used "enablement" - twice. I am pretty sure that's not real.

Jennifer said...

Mouse: I think she meant draughts, which means drafts...

Oh, I forgot, I do have kids to provide "stupid human tricks" like:
1. An elaboratley configured dish drying rack, which at first glance appears to be full, but upon further inspection consists of 2 bowls and a fork.
2. The ability to thrive on a diet of cereal and ice cream. (Which, apparently, they prefer to eat by fork)
3. Supernormal sleeping habits. To bed at midnight and up at noon? Wow. The joys of middle school might actually outweigh all the pesky pubescent problems.

Eyebrows McGee said...

lol. fixed. The fingers, sometimes they type what they want.

prepossessing said...

Cats are wonderful creatures. My cat Monkey loves water and baths. He sometimes stands in front of us when we are in the shower. If you are taking a bath he dips his foot in the water and puts water all over his fur.

Yvonne said...

Do your cats sleep in the sink too? One of ours does. And there's a whole website of photos of cats in sinks.

Eyebrows McGee said...

LOL. They don't sleep in the sinks, thank goodness! There's already enough cat hair on everything!