Monday, July 30, 2007

Peoria PlayHouse Update

So I can't remember if I posted this or not, but this year I'm serving on the Peoria PlayHouse Committee. In the past when I shilled for them it was because I thought they were awesome, but now I'm actually the official shill because I'm in charge of PR. But still because I think they're awesome or I wouldn't be devoting hours upon hours of my life to it.

We've had a couple press releases go out in the last two weeks and I just wanted to highlight them really quickly. The first, which you can read in full here on the website, summarizes the progress of the project:

July 16, 2007, Peoria, IL – Working with partners from the Peoria Park District to the Peoria Chamber of Commerce Community Leadership School, the Junior League of Peoria is bringing The Peoria PlayHouse Children’s Museum, to be located in the Glen Oak Pavilion, ever closer to reality.

Programming at the Shoppes at Grand Prairie and Prairie Air Show provide education and fun for area children.

Fundraising on track with 30% of funds raised; a gift from Jackie and Curtis White establishes The Peoria PlayHouse Endowment Fund; area children participate in Pennies for the PlayHouse.

Facilities plans preserve historic Glen Oak Park pavilion while providing space for five permanent and one temporary exhibit, as well as educational and administrative spaces.
The other press release, which is on its way out, is for this Saturday's PlayHouse Jr. programming at the Shoppes at Grand Prairie. It starts with storytime at Borders (10:30 a.m.) and then there are activities (11 a.m.) indoors when the weather is bad and outdoors at the PlayHouse gazebo when it's nice out. This month's theme is "In the Trees" with three books about trees and then tree activities. I don't have kids, but I've volunteered at a couple of these PlayHouse Jr. events and they're a hoot. Last one I did was vegetables, and I spent a good 45 minutes making potato-stamp pictures with the kiddies (SO FUN!) and we had unusual veggies for the kids to sample. This one kid ended up taking home like all our jicama because he was so crazy about it. (I myself am not that big on jicama but I would be surprised if this 7 year old at anything else for the rest of the week.)

It's a fun free Saturday morning activity, and the kids range in age from "barely old enough to sit still through one book while sucking thumb" to about 10 years old.

No comments: