Sunday, June 10, 2007

I Am the Man Spatula, and the Chicago Tribune Has Traumatized Me

My first year of college, a guy I briefly dated in high school came out of the closet. This was a moderate blow to my ego and massive teasing fodder for all my friends, who promptly dubbed me the Man Spatula (because I flip men). It was a little bit weird, especially when I met his boyfriend, but we're still pretty good friends.

So this morning I'm flipping through my Chicago Tribune enjoying my Sunday two-newspaper readathon, and I come across a story about Chicago-area gay and lesbian students who've received scholarships from a GLBT organization for college or grad school.

ANOTHER ONE OF MY HIGH SCHOOL BOYFRIENDS IS THERE.

This means that 100% of boys I went to high school dances with are gay. And that I had to find that out from the Chicago Tribune.

7 comments:

Dan said...

Now , THAT's funny!!

mcSey said...

Hey, if it was in the Trib, it must be true;)

Funny post.

Peoria Pundit said...

It just goes to show you ... the Chicago Tribune never did anyone an damn good.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh high school dirt returns.

The Man Spatula?

Missed that one...or maybe I have just forgotten it.

Just makes it more funny now.


B

cgiselle12 said...

I like Man Spatula - gotta remember that term!

You should be happy, actually, that you helped them realize themselves. It's possible that it was your caring and support that gave them the confidence to be honest. Good qualities that are hard to find, my dear. Instead of dissing yourself, take pride in the power of your love. (mostly serious here!)

Peoria Pundit said...

Let's face it, it's only a matter of time before Mr. Eyebrows comes out of the closet. Come to think of it, he IS a good dresser ...

;-)

(I am SOOOO gonna get sued).

Anonymous said...

Hey, if you're paying such close attention to my clothes, I think that says more about your masculinity than mine.

I can happily say that I only have eyes for my wife. Though actually, last night we watched that movie with Mandy Moore where she's wandering around in lingerie part of the time, and she's not bad looking!

(and now I'm soooo going to get in trouble!)

Mr. McGee