Tuesday, May 22, 2007

WHOI Recap

I didn't post sooner because my neighbors gave me free food and alcohol while they were grilling last night so I sat out there for ages after I got back (did you know you can make pita bread on a grill? I didn't) and then this morning I was banging my brains against some stubborn legal documents.

For those who didn't see it, we talked about Peorians giving directions and a little bit about my garden. (And since the cicadas had been on just a bit before me, my brain was going "CICADAS! CICADAS!" the entire time we were talking about my garden.)

Anyway, I haven't myself seen it on tape, so I don't know if I looked like a dork, but I had fun doing it. I got to sit in on the newscast, which, as I've said before, is always a treat for me. I find the whole process fascinating. And, as I've also said before, I LOVE the weather green screen. (And Ric Kearbey was hysterical in person.) During commercials I chatted with Jen Christensen, who was very personable and easy to talk to, about various charitable endeavors as we each tried to suck each other into our pet projects. Tim McGinnis (also very nice) did a good job walking me through the interview in advance and then helping me hit my "mark" in the studio. (Yes! There's a mark! You have to stand on it!) It was very relaxed and low-key; I felt very comfortable.

(Producer Meghan Fisher was also awesome, but she doesn't have a picture on the web so I can't link to her head.)

WHOI has an automated studio, so there's no dudes behind the cameras. The cameras move on their own, controlled from another room. Very Twilight Zone.

There was only one thing that threw me a little bit, which was that I could very faintly hear my voice in the monitor speaker on the other side of the studio. My problem with this is that in my HEAD, my voice sounds nothing whatever like my sister's. When I hear it on tape? EXACTLY LIKE MY SISTER'S. (Tone, cadence, diction, pitch, etc.) This always throws me for a loop; it's just such a weird little moment of cognitive dissonance.

3 comments:

Knight in Dragonland said...

The one thing I didn't like was when your interviewer said "you don't have to think very much" when visiting this blog. That's a pretty ridiculous statement for anyone that's every visited, and I think your interviewer realized it after he said it and tried to take it back.

I haven't used the word "erudite" to discuss any of the other local blogs, but it certainly fits this one.

Good job, Laura. I wish he'd let you do a little more of the talking, too.

Jennifer said...

Darn, I was out of town and missed the interview.
Good luck with going to the gym. I miss it. But living in Princeville and having 2 kids, it's hard to find the time to run "into town."
Jennifer

Kate said...

That always throws me for a loop too. If you get a digital copy of the video, can you post it or link to it? I don't know exactly how that works, but I'd love to see it.

kateo