Monday, May 14, 2007

Things That Are Up

I opted to do something nasty to my back/neck, which has had me lying around a lot staring at the ceiling/television and has restricted the amount of time I can spend at my computer. Ergo, not so many posts lately. But I've seen a lot of the Oscar movies from 2007! (I reccommend "The Queen.")

I am trying to schedule a party but I am being foiled by two things: First, my back. Second, the cicadas. Or lack thereof. I keep not wanting to schedule it in case they appear this weekend, and then this weekend comes, and they're not here yet, and I'm like, "dang, I should have gone ahead and scheduled my party," but of course then it's too late. The garden is starting to fill in and look pretty, too.

My Mom Hates DRM Part II: Her new cell phone wants her to pay $2.50 every three months to RENT Pachelbel's Canon, which has been her ringtone for, like, ever. She is steaming mad about this. (Part I, for those who don't remember, is that my mom can only update her iPod on one computer.)

This is good in a way, though, because the entertainment industry mostly thinks it's people under 30 who are snarked about Digital Rights Management, and that we're all pirates anyway. (I'm not.) But when Baby Boomers get mad about DRM, they pay attention.

2 comments:

ilsateredbird said...

Go "Brow's Mom, Give me a break, Pachabel's Canon, He's dead who owns the rights Michael Jackson??

There are 12 gazillion recordings of the Canon and they want to charge you quarterly. That is insane.

I am in the 1% (older users) of IPOD's. Think they are great, unfortunately there are to many people wih a hand out wanting a little piece of the action.

What was the cost to produce the ringtone? Next to nothing, now they are trying to reap huge profits. (Price x number of users)

Go get 'em!

Star said...

"I opted to do something nasty to my back/neck, which has had me lying around a lot staring at the ceiling/television and has restricted the amount of time I can spend at my computer."

I am such a freaking idiot. You even told me about this--I presume I must have just caught you during some brief online time--and I totally didn't make the connection. Yeah, that would be why the lack of e-mail or chat contact, wouldn't it? Duh. I feel quite foolish now. :(

((((Eyebrows)))) I hope the back/neck gets better soon!

And, uh, I'll just go see if I can locate my brain now...