Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I Gots An Integer

Just so you all know. Now I, like AACS-LA, own an encryption number.

51 29 7F 3C 44 F4 3F E9 58 8D 90 90 7D 6B 63 0F
You too can abuse the legal system -- or try to screw AACS-LA out of doing so -- by getting your very own integer here: http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1155

Once all 2^218 integers have been claimed, AACS-LA won't be able to use any other encryption codes without infringing on people's claims and getting a DCMA smackdown. At least, that's AACS-LA's legal theory.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, try reading here. And remember: Due to AACS-LA's ham-handed attempts to get the number OFF the net, they drew so much publicity that more people now know how to hack HD-DVD players than OWN them.

Here's an idea: How about instead of wasting all this time and money chasing down hackers, who will continue to hack regardless of what you do, and creating roadblocks for law-abiding media consumers, who will become annoyed, you sell us some media without sucky DRM on it? Even my mother is now annoyed about DRM because she can only update her iPod shuffle on one computer.

4 comments:

Josh said...

Huh?

Dan said...

Wow!! I have NO idea what you're talking about!! LOL

Steve Jobs said...

iTunes

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588-6172398.html

Anonymous said...

So the high def screening room I run at the office has a substantial chain of consumer and pro devices to get content off of disc/tape onto screen. The entire handshake DRM process takes no joke 45-60seconds for one playback deck to talk to our router then our scaler up to our projector and back. My family's first TV took less time to warm up.

I'd rant more about DRM but I am under NDAs....

Technology rules!!!!

b