Sunday, April 15, 2007

Other People's Yardwork

I ran into Peoria Illinoisian at (what else?) a Junior League event, wherein we were engaged in doing other people's house- and yard-work. Specifically the League headquarters' house- and yard-work, as the headquarters is in a restored historic house in the Randolph-Roanoke district.

Anyway, I was outside doing yardwork for two reasons: First, I can barely be bothered to do my OWN housework; I'm certainly not doing others' on purpose. And second, I'm much better at yardwork and like it better. Even in the chilly rain we had yesterday.

So when I saw PI more than just passing by on my way to the mimosas, I was deeply involved in being one with the bushes that had not been trimmed in some years. By "being one with them" I mean that I had been literally inside them most of the morning trying to get in at the center to prune out the dead wood, leaving most of my hair behind on the twigs and the hair still attached to my head sticking up in all directions. I'm pretty sure the scrunchie allegedly holding up my ponytail was just attached to my hair by sap at that point.

I was actually and uncharacteristically very, very embarrassed to be caught having the worst hair day of my entire life!

2 comments:

PeoriaIllinoisan said...

That's too funny. I had a feeling I'd find you outside, though I certainly didn't mean to embarrass you.

Heck, I felt bad that I couldn't stick around longer- that side porch really needs some work.

Eyebrows McGee said...

Side porch is hard because people go in and out all the time, so it's tricky to find four days in which to do things and let it all dry!

And don't worry, I was embarassed when my OWN husband showed up and saw my dire, dire hair. Next time I wearing a bandana on my head no matter how dumb I look!