Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Unexpected Side Effects of the Gardening Bug

Now that we're becoming ubergardeners, I've lost a substantial part of my kitchen to the gardening bug, particularly to the hot peppers my husband is starting. He's got a good crop going there in the largest pots. In the round trays are the basils and chives I'm going to try as windowbox plantings in the front. Miscellaneous other plants are in the itty-bitty tray-pots.




But the point here is really that my kitchen dates to 1950 and I have hardly any counter space to begin with. Preparing dinner is now a daily adventure in the approximately two feet of counter space that remain to me.

The fridge is getting bad too, full of all kinds of seeds and bulbs awaiting the proper planting time. I sort-of miss that shelf.

5 comments:

Anon E. Mouse said...

Do you have a fan blowing on them?

Eyebrows McGee said...

No, that'd require work!

anon e. mouse said...

Then prepare for failure.

Your hothouse plants will grow tall and scrawny. They will lacka 'backbone' that they develop when exposed to wind. Commercial greenhouses (where your store boughten plants come from) all use fans.

Eyebrows McGee said...

They were fine this way last year.

Dana (caryatid) said...

I feel your pain.
I got tired of hearing Bob complain about the lack of counter space, so I built shelves across the windows. The kids managed to knock those over last year, so I'm converting a pop-up camper to a greenhouse. :)

I have pictures online if you'd like to see.

-Dana