Sunday, December 10, 2006

Just $10 a Ticket for Eternal Salvation!

I was talking with some folks today about the commercialization of Christmas and what Jesus would think of a holiday-decorated mall.

It reminded me of when I was in college and some religious group took out a bunch of full-page ads in the campus newspaper. It was some sort of concert/fundraiser thingie, but the ad said, super-gigantic:

IF JESUS CAME TO THE COLLEGE ARENA*
WOULDN'T YOU STAND IN LINE FOR HOURS
AND PAY $10 TO MEET HIM?

I was like, "HELLS NO!" because any Jesus charging you $10 for the privilege of meeting him is PROBABLY NOT JESUS. In fact, I think that would probably be the NUMBER ONE SIGN that your Jesus was actually the Antichrist.

The full-page ads cost about $1600 each, IIRC, and then ran them for a week or so. Attendance was not nearly good enough to make up in fundraising what they spent in advertising (at $10/head we're talking 1,120 heads just to break even before any funds are raised -- and I don't think the venue they were using could seat nearly that many). So not only were they a little unclear on how Jesus works, but they weren't so good with the math, either.

*Actually, it said "If Jesus came to the JACC" which stands for Joyce Athletic and Convocation Center, but I figured only a handful of Domers would know what I meant if I said that.

2 comments:

C. J. Summers said...

You've got to be kidding me. Those people should be excommunicated from whatever religious organization with which they were affiliated.

Unless they actually were affiliated with the Antichrist, in which case they were just doing their jobs.

Anonymous said...

In the Bible, Jesus says that the only way to get into heaven is to sell everything you own.

So, take it from there!