Saturday, August 19, 2006

Mom McGee Has Vermin Trauma and Needs Sympathy

Writes Eyebrows's mom:

"I thought Sam was the good cat. She was pacing on my bed at 4:30 this morning and I jerked the sheet to get her attention and perhaps get her off the bed. Instead she growled at me which is unusual. I turned on the light and Sam looked at me with her dead mouse in her mouth. Needless to say my night was ruined -- does anyone hear the mother scream when both men in the house are gone. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

My mother is really irrationally bothered by mice for someone who lives in the midwest, and my dad was stranded in Milan because his flight was meant to go through Heathrow on the way back to O'Hare and the terrorists were all busy making gel-related threats, leaving my mother to cope with the rodentia alone. So give Eyebrows's mom sympathy. She needs it after the vermin trauma.

5 comments:

Mom said...

Eyebrows,
What do you mean "really irrationally"? My distaste for mice is genetic -- I remember my own mother standing on a couch when I was six because there was a mouse running around.
Mom

Anonymous said...

After living a boring suburban life, we moved to a rural area north of Peoria. Our cats were essential to the household as good mousers. On the occasion one or two slipped into our house alive, a cat always caught it and IMMEDIATLY wanted to go outside to finish him off. So tell your mother, all she has to do is let the cat outside and she will be fine. Actually, the cat saved her from having to catch the mouse.. a much messier ordeal.

Eyebrows McGee said...

Mom - Irrational because you totally share the habitat with the mice and after three or so decades, you might have come to terms with them!

Also because when *I* freaked out about finding a dead mouse, you told me to "grow up" and "get over it." Although clearly this was a ploy to make me be the one who had to deal with the mousey bodies.

But everybody has sympathy for your vermin trauma, so you're good! -E McG

Anonymous said...

Things could be worse. There are cats who catch the mouse outside and then want to bring it inside. It seems to be their way of "bringing home the bacon". But the worst of all are those cats who want to bring in a mouse that is not dead yet and play with it for awhile.

Eyebrows McGee said...

My mother's OTHER cat, Riley-the-evil-one, likes to bring up mice to play with them upstairs before doing them in. Often leaving them alive and terrified in closets for unsuspecting humans to discover.

My mom thinks I was terribly mean to her in this post, but I was trying to explain why she's more traumatized by mice than the average Midwesterner. She's not a Midwesterner by birth and she's never gotten used to sharing the prairie with rodentia.