Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Word of God Is Not Compatible Across Platforms

Which would be why it took me a friggin' HOUR to transfer the Psalms from my Bible-on-mp3 to my iPod. GRRRRRR!

(Wait, is Scripture supposed to make me really annoyed?)

Now I have to figure out how to make my iPod NOT randomize the Psalms playlist. It's a little jarring.

(I got Max McLean, who does a lovely job reading Scripture in a meaningful but not theatrical way. If you're in the market. NIV is not my favorite translation, but totally serviceable.)

2 comments:

C. J. Summers said...

What version do you like? I'm partial to the New American Standard Version (1977), although I also like the KJV, which is what I grew up with.

Eyebrows McGee said...

I like lots of versions; I most use the New American Catholic Bible (NACB) liturgically and the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) for textual work in English. Didn't grow up with the KJV, but still love it. :) Wish it wasn't so badly abused by folks who don't understand that the language has drifted in meaning a bit in 400 years!

I think most of the "mainstream" translations are decent, particularly when well-footnoted so you can see why the translators made the choices they did. But I often reccommend the NACB and NRSV because both are available on the retail market in extremely well-annotated versions for a reasonable, retail-market price (Thinking Catholic Study Bible NACB and New Oxford Annotated NRSV) in both hardcover and paperback.