Monday, July 03, 2006

Snuggle Tag

Not much to say over the Fourth of July holiday, except that now that my grandfather is reading my blog, I have to use EVEN FEWER swear words than when it was just my dad ....

Grey Cat has a new game, which I have dubbed Snuggle Tag. When Mr. McGee and I are sitting watching TV, Grey Cat goes from one to the other of us, sitting down for about 15 seconds to purr madly, then getting up to go to the other person's lap, purr madly for 15 seconds, and do it again. Then back and forth from one lap to the other, constantly, twice a minute. We're not real sure if he's trying to find the best lap for snuggling, or if he's trying to keep us in line. But this version of Snuggle Tag is fine.

The version that is NOT fine is the version he's started playing at 5 a.m. Twenty pounds of cat on your lap is one thing. Twenty pounds of cat on your chest/boobs/family jewels/stomach at FIVE IN THE MORNING is an entirely different thing! He's started crawling from one to the other of us (we're two inches apart!) at 5 a.m., curling up on each of us in turn and purring madly, then switching to the other one 15 seconds later. So twice a minute, every minute, from 5 a.m. onwards, we get 20 lbs of cat using our bodies as sidewalks.

Sometimes we knock him off the bed, but he just comes back two minutes later, full of EVEN MORE PURRING and more snuggling.

The ideal situation is when we're so close together that he can sit on both of us at once. Sometimes this stops him from playing tag, apparently because he's subdued us both at the same time.

I'm not sure if he's trying to, like, improve our marriage through ultra-close sleeping, or if he's just REALLY PERVERSE. All I know is that I have bruises all over my torso from a TWENTY-POUND CAT playing tag.

2 comments:

PeoriaIllinoisan said...

Another reason that we don't have pets...

Labrys said...

Hmmm. Is this the cat that hates the vet...or is that the other one? Cause if this is a new bit with the kitty, I'd get him vet-checked. Cats also purr when they are frightened badly, or in pain. So, if he is going from one to the other, even at night, I would worry that something was bothering him physcially. Are his paws damp---their paws actually can sweat if they are stressed or in pain---so if he has this in addition to the frantic purr-lap/chest dance routine, I'd reallllly be worried.