Sunday, July 09, 2006

In Which Grey Cat Scares the Bejeezus out of Me

This actually happened a little bit ago but scared me so much it took me a while to calm down and blog about it.

So a little bit ago, I woke up in the middle of the night sweating from the heat. Our master bedroom is the very last stop on our 1950-installed duct-work, so the air conditioning doesn't really condition our master bedroom worth crap. I got out of bed and opened the two windows on the side wall, and one of the windows on the front wall, in the hopes of getting some ventilation, and went back to bed to sleep uncomfortably in the heat.

Around 5:30 a.m., when the sun was just up, I woke up to a cat distress cry. Now, whenever somebody's breathing pattern changes, or somebody rolls over, or sighs, I typically wake up, ensure no husbands or cats have actively expired, and roll over to go back to sleep. But this was an actual distress cry, so I threw off the sleep and groggily sat up in bed to look for the source.

It took me a minute to locate it because Grey Cat was OUT THE WINDOW, HANGING ON BY TWO TINY PAWS, AND CRYING FOR ALL HE WAS WORTH. (Orange Cat, totally unconcerned, started purring like crazy because I was awake and that might mean extra petting.) Apparently I had neglected to put the screens on the two front windows in the master bedroom (which we rarely open) but in my sleep-addled state, had opened them anyway, and Grey Cat went out to explore! I'm not sure if he was crawling on the roof and couldn't get back in, or if he got halfway out and realized he wanted back in, but he was doing a tiny kitty pull-up, hanging on to the window sill with two little paws and his chin. I'm just relieved he didn't fall two stories! What with the adrenaline rush as I raced over to pull him inside, I'm not sure I slept for the next WEEK!

I have never seen a cat happier to get back inside the house than Grey Cat was.

This was not, incidentally, his first upper-story-window adventure. When we were in a townhouse in North Carolina, Grey Cat leaned on the screen of a 3rd-floor window so hard that he popped it free and it was only due to Mr. McGee's super-fast reflexes that Grey Cat didn't take a header three stories onto the concrete.

I'm not sure I can cope with having actual children when Grey Cat does such vicious things to my heartrate.

No comments: