Friday, June 23, 2006

Weekend Update, with Dog

Mr. McGee and I are adopting a dog, on trial, this afternoon. I have pet dander allergies, so we've arranged with the program we're adopting from to have the dog on trial for a week to ensure that my allergies can handle it. (Some dogs are worse than others for me, and I have yet to discover a reliable pattern.) This is a BIG dog we're trying out - 70 lbs - and I'm a little intimidated. The cats and I like our nice quiet life.

I sort-of hate that we're only taking the dog on trial. This makes me feel guilty (although she's being fostered so at least she'll go back to a home, not the pound, if we can't keep her). I also know exactly what's going to happen even if my allergies are terrible: A week is going to be just long enough for me to fall in love with her and be unable to let her go back.

We're thinking of heading up to the Illinois Wine Festival thingie at Three Sisters Park. We like to try regional wines, so it should be a good time. We've found a Bavarian-style apple wine the other day, from Missouri, I think? It was FANTASTIC.



I saw one of those on my corn a little earlier this week. I had no idea what it was, and it took me FOREVER to come up with the right combination of words to Google it up, since I thought it was really more of a hot pink and teal than a red and blue, but it's a Red-banded Leafhopper. I honestly thought I either imagined it or found an escapee from a local lab, since colors that bright don't occur in nature very often and I just could NOT find my bug on Google. It was about the length of a fingernail; very very tiny. I was tickled pink - hot pink and teal, even.

No comments: