Friday, June 02, 2006

Vacation Day 4: Apparently I Am Behind on Laundry

Last night Mr. McGee carried a basket full of laundry down to the basement, which I cannot recall him ever doing before. Sure, he migrates the laundry baskets if I ask, but he's never done it spontaneously. I took this as a hint that he probably wanted me to do some laundry.

Investigating the laundry, I discovered that my laundry sorter was half-full, my laundry chute entirely full, and my laundry basket over-full. Definitely time to do laundry. Normally I do three loads. I have at least six down there.

The one way in which I have been diligently observing my vacation is in refusing to get dressed. I throw on business casual clothes for client meetings, but otherwise I've been wearing pajamas all day. The rule about pajamas is that you can wear them as many days in a row as you want, until a) they stand up on their own or b) your neighbors see you in them. Once your neighbors see you in them, you have to put that set of pajamas in the laundry and start wearing a new set, because otherwise your neighbors might think you're the kind of person who wears the same pajamas several days in a row. There is a caveat to the neighbor-pajama rule, though, and that's that it doesn't count as the neighbors seeing you if they only see you bringing in the newspaper or taking out the trash, as long as these tasks are done before 8 a.m. and they don't speak to you. If they speak to you, it still counts.

Earlier in the week I was low on pajama-type clothes. In my house, pajamas are sweatsuits, grungy shorts, old T-shirts, and a few pajama-pajamas, but after the whole
entire neighborhood saw me in my froggie pajamas when a water main on our street burst right in front of our house and everyone (including the high school students) kindly came to knock on my door at 7 a.m. as they left for work to let me know about the break, and got to see my pajamas with the obscenely happy frogs on them, I've kind-of reverted to sweatpants. I now save my frog pajamas for when I visit my parents, primarily because my siblings find them terrifying. "The frogs are so happy," my brother noted in a unnerved voice, "but she's so MEAN! It's disturbing!" I am not socially acceptable until I've been awake for an hour.

At any rate, it probably should have alerted me to the fact that laundry was due to be done when I ran out of pajama-things, up to and including things that aren't pajamas but can sort-of be pajamas, like yoga pants. On Wednesday I resorted to wearing a beach cover-up sundress-type thing, and when I was out watering the plants, my neighbor stopped me to talk to me.

"Dammit," I thought, for the beach cover-up was now destined for the laundry as well. But I suppose that's the fate you suffer when you're wearing pajamas at 3 in the afternoon on a weekday.

1 comment:

mapgirl said...

Pajamas at 3 p.m. on a weekday? Now THAT sounds more like a vacation ... you're getting the hang of it!

m.