Friday, February 17, 2006

The Answer Is No. No, Nein, Nyet, No.

So I'm minding my own business, sitting in my office, with my instant messenger program running in the background, which is a common practice for folks of my age. I run an emulator, which runs several programs at once, including ICQ, which I haven't actually used since law school, but which doesn't get hit with random spam so I let it run.

Some dude ICQs me, out of the blue, and asks, in Italian, "Can I see you naked?"

I responded with the vilest of vile Italian curses, "Va fa n'culo." (Dad, don't go look it up. But they taught me that language at Notre Dame. On your dime.) Normally I don't respond to that kind of thing, but it's so rare I get to use my extensive vocabulary of foul Italian, and it surprised me to have a random vulgar pick-up coming off ICQ.

So the dude ICQs back a plaintive, "Perche?" (why?) with a sad face! Like asking to see someone naked is a normal way to open when talking with a stranger!

Boy. Time to go make sure all my IM accounts are set to "approved buddies only." Sheesh!

2 comments:

Willowfae said...

Ah yes, I remember those joyous moments in ICQ!

pollypeoria said...

Ah, come on... live a little, Eyebrows!