Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Who Knew We'd Miss Trans Fats?

Back from the holiday extravaganza, wherein I caught a virus from my 22-month-old cousin-niece, so I'm still a little draggy and not very bloggy.

My husband was eating some packaged cookies while watching the bowl games, and suddenly he demands, "What the heck did they do to my cookies?"

Took out the trans fat, I told him.

I tasted one. Blech. I don't like store-bought cookies to begin with, but blech blech blech. They taste not just like cardboard, but like particularly STALE cardboard. Ditto our transfat-free snack foods. Stale and icky. Now instead of a tasty salt delivery system, they're just a stale, bland salt delivery system.

So transfat, I miss you. I only ate you a couple times a month, since we mostly cook from scratch, but you really made snack food taste a lot better. It's really too bad you kill people, because you taste just ever so good in food made entirely of chemicals and, frankly, the pesticides, heavy metals, endocrine disrupters, carcinogens, and other assorted toxins in my favorite snack foods are likely to do me in a lot sooner than you will, trans fat. And you just taste a lot better than they do.

No comments: