Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Not the Brightest Bulbs in the Box

You give the yard two sixty degree days in mid-January, and suddenly everybody thinks it's spring. I have a whole bed of bulbs that's decided January 7 was an EXCELLENT day to emerge from underground. The shoots are 3" high on some of them, so I've been out mulching madly in the cold to try to save at least a FEW of these Alliums and Quamashes from their own enthusiasm. Morons.

In the meantime, the squirrels have dug up all my crocuses. I keep trying to "naturalize" crocuses - that is, plant them in among the lawn grass. You get a pretty crocus-y lawn in February or March, and they die back in time for mowing so you can just mow over them. This year I tried multiple methods of planting them to foil the squirrels, but the squirrels seem to have outwitted them all, and my front lawn has a variety of squirrel excavation projects underway. Not only will I not have crocuses, but I'm going to be filling divets and reseeding abused lawncover come spring.

Still, it's good to know that my yard is as eager for spring as I am, trying valiantly to bloom in the second week of January and get nature's springtime orgy underway.

2 comments:

pollypeoria said...

Well, that's what you get for trying to manipulate nature and not be lazy like the rest of us and letting our property go fallow...

Eyebrows McGee said...

I guess! I feel like Homer's talking to me: "Kids, you tried, and you failed. The lesson is, never try."