Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Lopsided and Messy

I started a pottery class today, because autumn always makes me feel like I should be in school and learning something. Now that I have three degrees, I get to learn useless things. (Because, um, clearly a liberal arts degree and a masters in theology weren't plenty useless already, but go with it.)

So this fall I'm taking pottery, and today was my first class. I'm not terribly artistically inclined, nor am I very coordinated, so it should be no surprise that my first pottery class involved a great deal of flying clay, flying water, facial clay smudges, collapsing containers, air bubbles, and general mess.

I didn't realize clay was so HEAVY, so I did a poor job of getting into the right shape because it was so hard to mush in that direction, then once I'd get it growing up into a cylinder, I'd push too hard and everything would end up oddly-shaped. Today I made two "cylinders," one of which looks something like an uneven gravy boat, and the other of which is a sort of stout, uneven goblet. My teacher insisted I fire them both because you're supposed to keep your first tries. I feel sorta bad for the better pottery having to associate with my pottery in the kiln. It's just not pretty.

I should also note that at no point during the class did Patrick Swayze appear, either bodily or incorporeally. Very disappointing.

But it was only my first class, which leaves me plenty of time to learn to make somewhat less-lopsided cylinders, and for Patrick Swayze to put in his appearance. So mom, dad - it'll be like a throwback to kindergarten this Christmas: you're getting lopsided hand-made pottery from one of your children. (And you thought you were done with that after 17 years of having children continuously in elementary school! HA!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(And you thought you were done with that after 17 years of having children continuously in elementary school! HA!)

Yes, but did they pay for college?! That'll learn em!