Sunday, October 09, 2005

Day 2 of Patio Laying: Not Divorced Yet

I want to post a picture of my two tons of sand, but Blogger's being a pain in the butt about it. Yesterday we spent the entire day excavating the extra 24x3 feet we were expanding the patio, removing excess gravel, moving dirt, and shoveling sand. I have personally shoveled about a ton of sand at this point, which is impressive for someone as wussy as I am. We slept in until about 11 a.m., not because we needed the sleep but because every muscle in our bodies ached. (There is no part of my body that currently works as advertised.) Finally, finally, we were able to start laying actual bricks at about 1 p.m. today.

I am apparently not doing this very well because I keep getting corrections - don't stand on that, you're using the mallet wrong, level this off, even that off, this brick doesn't go with that one, and so forth. I strongly suspect I'm hindering more than helping (so of course I came inside to blog). But so far, despite undertaking a massive and ache-inducing home improvement project, we are not actually divorced and neither of us is in traction.

I'll count that as a win.

2 comments:

angela said...

Honey, This is why you went to law school... So you could pay "The Guy" to do this sort of thing. We constantly pay The Guy. We know we are getting ripped off most of the time, but it's cheaper than marriage counseling or divorce, and we figure it also stimulates the economy.

Eyebrows McGee said...

Yeah, I live in this fantasy world where we get a lot of personal satisfaction out of undertaking such tasks on our own. Which we do ... when they're DONE. It's the getting to the done part that's a hassle!