Wednesday, September 21, 2005

BOYCOTT MACY'S!

Macy's is changing the name of Marshall Field's to Macy's, in a move of stunning public relations stupidity. Thousands of Chicagoans are already promising to boycott.

I drove 850 miles from North Carolina to Chicago so I could register at Field's on State Street for my wedding. It was the only part of getting married that I dreamed about as a little girl - registering on State Street.

Macy's is just another department store. Field's IS Chicago, and I think it shows a remarkable lack of understanding of Macy's target market to attempt to move into the midwest by destroying the Chicago icon that is Field's.

If you're as pissed off as I am, you can:

1) Sign a petition at http://www.keepitfields.org/ .

2) E-mail Macy's parent company, Federated Department Stores, here to complain.

3) Write via snail mail to Federated Department Stores, Inc., at 7 West Seventh St., Cincinnati, OH 45202 or at 151 West 34th Street, New York, NY 10001.

4) Call Federated's corporate office at 513-579-7000.

5) Write letters to the editor -- write the Chicago Tribune, the Chicago Sun-Times, the Cincinnati Post, or the New York Times.

6) Boycott Federated stores, including Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Famous-Barr, Filene's, Foley's, Hecht's, Kaufmann's, Lord & Taylor, L.S. Ayres, Marshall Field's, Meier & Frank, Robinsons-May, Strawbridge's, The Jones Store, David's Bridal, After Hours Formalwear and Priscilla of Boston. Include this list of stores in any complaint or boycott e-mails or letters that you write, so that Federated knows that you're aware of the extent of their holdings and will boycott all stores owned by Federated.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that's so frustrated with this move. I almost cried when I read it in the newspaper - and I'm not even from Chicago. Though they are selling my beloved Filene's building in downtown Boston too and the Macy's across the street has no personality whatsoever!
So sad :(